Digital Gold – Is it Worth it?
Simply speaking, digital gold is a term that refers to online purchases, which allows a person to invest and hold gold in virtual form. It is an alternative to buying gold in physical form, which does not require any bank locker to store it safely.
Why Buy Digital Gold?
Investing in digital gold is the simplest, safest, and most convenient way of investing in gold. Compared to buying physical gold, digital gold offers several benefits to investors. Some of these benefits are listed below:
1. Fair and Transparent Prices
The prices of physical gold vary from state to state, but the digital Gold prices are the same across the country. It is free from any making or storage charges which makes it a pocket-friendly option for buyers.
2. Freedom to Make a Small Investment
When buying even a tiny quantity of digital gold, one must make a considerable investment. But with digital gold, the investor has the freedom to make a small investment, as per his financial capabilities. One can invest in digital gold for as low as Rs. 100.
3. Purity of Gold
While buying physical gold, there is always a risk of getting gold-containing impurities. But digital gold comes with a purity assurance of 24 karats, 99.9% pure good, and is fully insured.
4. Safe and Secure
Buying digital gold makes it necessary to have a safe or bank locker to store it. However, digital is stored safely in digital vaults by the sellers themselves. So, the investors don’t have to worry about the safety of their investments.
To buy physical gold, one needs to step out, compare prices at various jewelers, and get an assurance of quality. This is a time-consuming process. On the other hand, investing in digital gold is a time-saving and assured process of buying gold.
6. Better Liquidity
When required, digital gold can easily and quickly be converted into cash or even physical gold. When you sell digital gold, the amount is credited within a few days. If you want physical gold, the gold is delivered to your home by paying a nominal fee.
Growth of Digital Gold in India
Owing to its various benefits, digital gold is gaining popularity over physical gold. It has become the new way of investing in gold. As far as digital gold is concerned, the pandemic and the resulting breakdown proved to be a blessing in disguise. Due to travel restrictions and safety concerns, people, rather than venturing out, preferred to invest in digital gold, sitting in the convenience of their home.
Chart of Digital Gold
The below table indicates how the price of digital gold has moved in the last 30 days.
Digital Gold vs Real Gold – Comparison
If one wants to compare real gold with digital gold, the following points are worth considering. Both real gold and digital gold have their advantages and disadvantages. One must consider all the parameters before making a choice.
1. Buying real gold is the traditional form of buying gold, where a person believes and holds gold in physical form. Digital gold, on the other hand, is investing in gold in the virtual state.
2. Minimum investment in real gold is higher than digital gold.
3. Unlike digital gold, physical gold involves cost in carrying it and storing it safely.
4. Real gold held by investors may or may not be pure. However, the purity of digital gold is guaranteed.
5. The prices of real gold vary from one city to another. However, digital gold prices are uniform.
6. Unlike real gold, there are no making charges in the case of digital gold. Digital gold involves a GST charge of only 3%.
Companies Offering Digital Gold in India
Various companies deal in digital gold in India. Some of the companies are:
MMTC PAMP India Private Limited
This joint venture between state-run Metals & Minerals Trading Corporation (MMTC) Limited and Swiss firm MKS camp. The company stores digital gold for 5 years. The minimum amount of gold delivered is 1 gram.
Digital Gold India Private Limited (Safegold)
Safegold stores the gold in digital lockers for 2 years. The minimum gram weight of gold for it to be delivered is 0.5 grams.
OroPocket is a 100% asset-backed banking service. OroPocket allows its customers to start investing with as low as Re. 1. Company offers customer-friendly services without much investment and transaction fee. With no storage or insurance fee, the company offers a transparent, safe, and secure service. The company uses Blockchain technology to verify the integrity of the investments. In addition to this, the company has a team of independent auditors who audit the digital lockers daily to assure asset-backing on a 1:1 basis.
Augmont Goldtech Private Limited is a consumer retail Goldtech Company. Along with gold SIP and gold loan, it facilitates the purchase of 24 carats digital gold online.
E-wallets Selling Digital Gold
E-wallets refer to electronic wallets. It is pretty similar to a debit or credit card. One can invest in digital gold from several mobile wallets, such as Google Pay, PayTM, or PhonePe. To make payments through this method, the e-wallet has to be linked with one’s bank account. We can add money to these e-wallets and use them to buy digital gold, as and when required.
Buying Guide for Digital Gold
Buying digital gold is very simple. One needs to follow a few simple steps:
1. Decide the amount of digital gold to be bought. One can buy digital gold of a fixed amount of weight at the prevailing market price.
2. Select your preferred online payment option like UPI, debit card, credit card, net banking, among others.
3. The gold bought is now safe and insured in secured vaults.
Benefits of Investing in Digital Gold with OroPocket
1. Buying digital gold with OroPocket is very easy. One can start with small investments, as low as Re. 1.
2. At OroPocket, the investors get the assurance of investing in 24-carat gold with 99.99% purity with a 100% guarantee.
3. The company used a Blockchain technology-based platform. This ensures complete transparency and integrity of all the transactions.
4. The investors can monitor the progress of our investments online.
5. The investors may even send or gift this digital gold to their loved ones in any part of the world.
6. One can quickly sell the digital gold to OroPocket and get the money credited to one’s bank account. Also, it can convert it to physical gold.
Disadvantages of Buying Digital Gold
The buying of digital gold is a good investment option. However, there are certain limitations and challenges associated with it. As a potential investor, one must be aware of these:
1. While buying digital gold, there is an investment limit of 2 lacs on most platforms.
2. Unlike stocks, there is no regulatory body such as RBI to SEBI to monitor their work.
3. Certain companies offer a limited storage period. One has to either sell the digital gold or convert it into physical gold.
Digital Gold – The Perfect Gift for the Festive Season
The festive season is the time when most Indians prefer to buy gold. Most Indian customers and marketers look forward to this season with great zeal and celebration. Digital gold is perfect for the festive season. Below are some valid reasons for it:
1. You can gift digital gold to your loved ones across the world.
2. In these challenging times, where social distancing is a mandate, it is no less than a threat to one’s health to step out and visit crowded shops to buy physical gold. In such a situation, opting for digital gold is a wise choice.
3. In India, it is considered auspicious to buy gold on various occasions, e.g. on Dhanteras. However, in the current scenario and with one’s busy schedule on that particular day, digital gold makes it convenient for investors to buy & accumulate gold online.
This Festive Season, Gift Gold with OroPocket
Digital Gold is considered as the future of investment. After knowing the benefits of connecting with OroPocket, it has become the #1 choice for investors today. With OroPocket, one can gift gold to anyone & anywhere across the world, with 100% transparency and integrity. If you want to invest in digital gold for maximum benefit, then download the OroPocket app today!
You must log in to post a comment.